Do you feel like there’s never enough time in a day? How about money?
Behold the easy, tasty, $0.23 barbecue black bean burger!
Featured in my “How to Eat Healthy on $4.15 a Day” segment for Good Morning Washington, you can make one of these vegan burger patties for less than a quarter. (Way cheaper than the $0.75/patty you’d pay for a Boca burger.)
Better yet, you can make a double batch on a weekend and freeze them to have dinner in a flash all week.
Now, that’s really important for Jeff and me, because time and money are both tight around here. And it’s not just the holidays.
We’re both working long hours AND we recently(ish) bought our first house! That means our new nest is still strewn with boxes—someday we’ll find time to unpack—and pretty much any extra dollar we get goes straight to Home Depot.
So we’re relying on convenience foods a lot, including these make-ahead burgers. They’re delicious on a soft bun with lettuce, tomato, and cool, crunchy pickles. But they’re equally good crumbled warm over a salad of crisp romaine lettuce and drizzled with Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing.
Did I mention they’re also low fat and healthy too? Perfect for keeping your energy up (along with your bank account balance). 🙂
Hope you like them as much as we do!
- 2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c rolled oats
- 1 c cooked brown rice
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
- Smash beans with a fork in a large bowl. Stop when they're halfway between whole beans and refried beans.
- Add oats, brown rice, barbecue sauce, onion powder and salt. Mix with your hands until evenly combined.
- Form into 12 patties. Let rest in the fridge for 20-30 min (see note).
- Bake at 450 F for 8-10 min on each side, or until light brown and crispy.
Make-ahead freezer directions: Double the batch, bake in advance, and freeze the patties in layers separated by wax paper. Warm in the microwave and serve as needed!