Ready in 10 minutes, this gluten-free chocolate zucchini breakfast bake is my new favorite way to start the day! Moist and rich with a gooey chocolate center, it tastes completely decadent—but is secretly low-calorie and oh-so-healthy.
Thanks to 100% whole grain flour, it’s supercharged with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It also packs as much protein as 1½ eggs, with no added protein powder!
Two tasty tricks
So, how to make moist, gooey breakfast bake that’s insanely healthy in 10 minutes?
Trick #1: A whole zucchini
Nearly all the liquid in this recipe comes from zucchini, which means fewer ingredients and loads of nutrition. It also makes this breakfast bake ridiculously moist.
Trick #2: Your microwave
If you haven’t embraced the mug cake trend yet, you’re in for a treat: Your microwave makes tasty baked goods in a flash. In fact, it’s how you can make this single-serve breakfast bake in 10 minutes flat. Just 5 minutes of prep, 5 minutes in the ‘wave, and voila! Rich, warm, gooey breakfast bake.
Cake-like or gooey? You decide!
As shown in my recent How to Eat 2 Pounds of Vegetables a Day post, this breakfast bake comes out more cake-like when made in a flat dish:
However, Jeff and I also love the warm and gooey chocolate center you get it if you make it in a mug:
So, what are you waiting for? Start your day the tasty way with a chocolate zucchini breakfast bake!
- 3 Tbsp buckwheat flour (see Notes)
- 2 Tbsp sorghum or millet flour
- 1 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Truvia packets or 4 tsp sugar (see Notes)
- 1 tsp ground flax or chia seed
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ⅛ tsp instant coffee granules (optional)
- 1⅔ c (6½ oz) grated zucchini (1 medium zucchini, just less than ½ pound)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Coat a flat microwave-safe bowl (cake-like) or mug (gooey center) with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Mix with a fork.
- Add wet ingredients. Stir to combine into a thick batter.
- Spoon into prepared bowl/mug and smooth top of batter. Microwave for 4½ - 5 min for a flat bowl or 5 - 5½ min for a mug, until top is dry and springy and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let stand for at least 2 minutes. (Do not skip this step.)
- Add toppings and enjoy!
If using sugar instead of Truvia, increase cooking time by 30 sec.
Nutrition information for cake made with gluten-free flour and Truvia, without toppings.