Want to eat chocolate chip pumpkin pie for breakfast? (And actually feel good about it?) You’re in luck! These pumpkin pie parfaits are fast, easy, and surprisingly healthy. So you can indulge without guilt!
Because, let’s face it, sometimes a treat is in order. For instance, on birthday mornings, or holiday mornings, or those mornings when your cell phone’s dead, you can’t find your keys, and your dog tinkled just inside the back door.
Those are the mornings you’ll want to make this parfait.
With all the sweet, creamy goodness of pumpkin pie, this parfait tastes downright decadent. Yet it’s secretly healthy, thanks to nutrient-packed pumpkin and oats! In fact, a single serving contains (percent daily values):
- 570% vitamin A
- 47% fiber
- 29% iron and calcium
- As much protein as 1½ eggs!
Better yet, this parfait just so happens to be gluten free, vegan, and lower in fat: only 10 grams of fat in a huge parfait. (Nearly 2 cups!) The fat tally includes the chocolate chips and optional light coconut whipped cream; leaving them out knocks the fat down to 6 grams, if that’s a concern for you.
Either way you make it, though, this breakfast has staying power: You’ll be satisfied and energized all the way ’til lunch!
Perhaps the best part, though, is how fast and easy it is to make. Just mix plain plant-based yogurt with pumpkin puree, add pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and a touch of sweetener, and stir. Then layer with low-fat granola and sprinkle of chocolate chips, and boom! Dessert for breakfast that you can feel good about. (Of course, you could also make half-size parfaits and actually serve them for dessert. Super easy—and pretty—for impromptu fall gatherings!)
The only thing you have to be mindful of is picking a healthy granola (unless you make your own), since many are practically swimming in oil. My personal low-fat pick is Back to Nature’s Classic Granola. While it contains refined sugar, it’s oil free and contains plenty of naturally occurring plant protein.
For yogurt, I like plain Almond Dream. It’s the lowest-sugar flavor in the Almond Dream lineup, is relatively low in fat for almond milk yogurt (3 grams), and tastes amazing with pumpkin.
So without further ado, here’s the recipe for a great big gluten-free, vegan pumpkin pie parfait with chocolate chips. Hope you love it as much as I do!
- 1 6-oz container plain almond milk yogurt (I use Almond Dream)
- ¾ c pumpkin puree
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- liquid stevia extract or other sweetener, to taste (I use 4-6 drops of stevia)
- ½ c low-fat granola (I use Back to Nature Classic)
- 1 Tbsp gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp So Delicious CocoWhip Light or other coconut whipped cream (optional)
- Mix yogurt, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and sweetener in a bowl. Whisk with a fork as though scrambling eggs until texture is smooth. (Or use a blender--see notes).
- In a glass (stemless wine glasses work well), add half the yogurt, top with half the granola and half the chocolate chips. Repeat.
- Top with a dollop of CocoWhip light and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
So, what’s your favorite breakfast treat?