Tired of serving the same old boring veggie tray at your parties and cookouts? Check out this tasty, easy, and mess-free way to make veggies the belle of the ball!
Quick and Easy Party Veggie Cups
Given that I ♥ Pinterest (Vegan recipes! DIY projects! Shamelessly-Self-Helpy-Inspirational quotes!), when I started seeing pictures of adorable veggie cups pop up, I just had to make my own.
I mean, I could use a little happy right now, and these colorful cups are so ridiculously cheerful, it’s hard not to smile when you pick one up.
However, having recently watched the eye-opening documentary Plastic Paradise (not the best choice for cheering up, whoops), I made my cups in mason jars instead of disposable plastic cups. (I swear, after watching that movie, I’ll never look at a plastic cup the same way again!)
Luckily, mason jars gave these veggie cups a fun outdoorsy look that’s perfect for summer parties and picnics, all while being blissfully eco-friendly.
Beyond being good for the planet, these party veggie cups are super fun to make—and eat. In fact, Jeff and I mowed through six of them in one day!
What’s more, I love that the veggie sticks in these cups are “pre-dipped,” so there’s no mess for you or your guests. And since everybody gets plenty of dip, people will actually take—and eat—a full serving of veggies.
Which, as you know, gives me the warm fuzzies.
You can make these cups with any dip or dressing that you want. Update: This healthy vegan copycat of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing is pretty and delicious in these cups (as seen in the pictures on this post), but oil-free lemon tahini dressing is good too!
The only thing I wish I’d done differently? I should have used half-cup mason jars like these or these instead of half-pint jars. That way, you can dip the last half of each carrot stick as easily as the first half. (Yet another reason these cups are great for gatherings—you can double dip guilt free. 🙂 )
Hope you enjoy, and if you’re in the States, have a great Memorial Day!
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped into sticks
- 2 bunches of celery, washed and chopped into sticks
- 2 yellow or orange bell peppers, sliced
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 12 party picks
- 2½ c dressing or dip (e.g. Healthy vegan Hidden Valley Ranch copycat dressing)
- Pour a half-inch of dressing into the bottom of each cup. Thread grape tomatoes onto party picks. Add 3 carrot sticks, 2 celery sticks, 1-2 pepper strips, and 1 tomato party pick to each cup.
- Arrange cups on a cutting board or the table and watch the compliments roll in!
-While I used cup-size jars for this post, half-cup size jars are even better, so long as you cut shorter veggie sticks. Juice glasses are great too!
- Are you on Pinterest? What recipe/project is on your to-try list?