So it’s almost July 4th, and I just had to share this fun and festive fruit-and-veggie salad with you!
Decked out in red, white, and blue, it’s as pretty as it is tasty. It’s also fast and easy, which is perfect when you have people coming over for a barbeque in the afternoon and it’s 11 in the morning and you haven’t even made it to the grocery store yet, much less cleaned your house. (Not that anything like that would ever happen to me.)
This salad also makes use of jicama, which I’m pretty sure everyone knows is my favorite vegetable of all time. (Click here to learn how to select and store jicama and here for how to peel it in a flash.)
Why do I love jicama so? Because not only can you make it into sticks, chips, and slaw, but with a set of inexpensive metal cookie cutters, you can create nearly any shape you want in minutes. Which is awesome for celebrating holidays the healthy way: serve jicama as itty bitty footprints for a baby shower, hearts on that romantic Valentine’s Day salad, or snowmen on a Christmas Day veggie tray.
Just be sure to use metal cookie cutters like these—not plastic—or you’re going to get one heck of a workout:
Ready to see stars? Grab your cookie cutters, round up some jicama, and have at it. Here’s wishing you and yours a happy, healthy Fourth of July!
- 1 personal-size seedless watermelon
- 1-2 medium jicamas
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 Tbsp fresh-squeezed lime juice sweetened with agave to taste (optional)
- 1 handful fresh mint, torn (optional)
- Peel jicama and cut into slices ⅛- to ¼-inch thick.
- Use small cookie cutters (get them here or at a craft store) to cut the jicama into stars.
- Toss the jicama stars in sweetened lime juice, if using. (Don't worry, the stars won't turn brown if you skip this step—it's for flavor only.)
- Chop watermelon into cubes. (Bonus points if you use large cookie cutters to make watermelon stars!)
- Add blueberries and fresh mint (if using) to watermelon and jicama just before serving. Toss gently and enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which help me provide free recipes and info on Veggie Quest.