I love banana bread. I mean, I love it to the point where I could sit down and put away half a loaf without blinking.
Maybe more. 😉
However, it’s a pain to make, which might actually be a good thing considering how quickly I can make a loaf disappear! Plus you have to wait for it to bake. And while I have many wonderful qualities, I’m pretty sure patience isn’t one of them. (Hubby Veggie Quest would be happy to vouch for that.)
Enter cinnamon banana bread oatmeal.
Fast, delicious, and blissfully cheap
This tasty oatmeal is ready in just 5 minutes, and it makes the house smell divine—like a cinnamon roll and a hunk of banana bread had a baby.
What’s more, it’s almost criminally cheap at $0.39 a serving. To put that in perspective, you can enjoy five bowls of this gooey cinnamon-banana oatmeal for the price of a medium cup of coffee at Starbucks.
Not too shabby, eh?
Plus it’s made with cholesterol-lowering oats and vitamin B6-rich bananas—a bonus boost for your bod!
So if you want banana bread flavor without spending any dough (I crack me up!), try this quick-and-easy oatmeal recipe. Your taste buds—and wallet—will thank you.
- 1 banana (half mashed, half sliced)
- ½ cup rolled (old-fashioned) oats
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, packed (can substitute date paste)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
- In a microwaveable bowl with tall sides, stir together all ingredients except the sliced half-banana.
- Microwave 2 - 2½ minutes until creamy and piping hot.
- Top with banana slices and a sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar, if desired.
Place 2 mashed bananas, 4 Tbsp packed brown sugar, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, ½ tsp salt, and 4 c water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add oats and reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 4 Tbsp ground flax seed. Serve topped with the remaining 2 bananas, sliced, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar.
Your turn: leave a comment!
- How patient are you?
- Do you love banana bread? Enough to actually make it??