And, chocolate shakes aside, I still have a hard time eating vegetables for breakfast.
However, the first time I tried this salad, it was so good that I ended up eating an entire bunch of kale that was supposed to last Jeff and me for a couple of days. (Whoops!)
Better still, this kale salad is sweet, filling, and stupendously easy to make. All you have to do is blend up a batch of 5-Minute Ginger Dressing, toss it with chopped kale, and slice in some mango. Done!
For the supremely time-strapped, you can even buy bags of prewashed and chopped organic Tuscan kale at Trader Joe’s. (10 Trader Joe’s Time-Savers to Pick Up Tonight)
Your No-Fail Trick for Great Raw Kale Salads—Every Time
That said, there is one trick you need to know to make this salad scrumptious. And this goes for all raw kale salads in summer:
Unless you live up north, buy your kale from the grocery store during the hot summer months.
I know, I know, I like the farmers market, too. However, kale grown in hot weather can turn brutally bitter (and tough). Which is fine if you’re going to cook it with lots of vinegar or lemon juice. But not so fine if you want to eat it raw!
Once the fall rolls around, though, be sure to shop your farmers market for the freshest, sweetest kale going.
- 1 bunch kale (or 1 bag prewashed/chopped kale)
- 2 large or 4 small mangoes
- ½ c sweet ginger dressing (both the regular or low-fat pineapple-lime variations are good. For a lighter colored dressing as shown, make with golden raisins)
- Wash and chop kale. Shake or pat dry.
- Peel and chop mangoes.
- Toss kale and mangoes with ½ cup sweet ginger dressing, adding more to taste.
This easy salad makes a great addition to lunchboxes, too:
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!