My friend Jen suggested this combination to me, and personally I think it’s inspired. Not only is it a mash-up of my favorite steakhouse sides, but it’s quick and easy to boot. No need to relegate it to the role of side dish, though; according to Jen, if you toss it with some pasta and a little [vegan] Parmesan cheese, you’ve got yourself a meal!
- cooking spray
- 8-oz container of button (white) mushrooms, trimmed and cut into ¼" slices
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- half a regular-size (9-oz) bag of baby spinach
- pinch of salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Turn heat to medium. When skillet is hot, add the sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add spinach, salt, and pepper, and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted and mushrooms are tender.