As much fun as I’ve had with spiralizing lately, I’m super excited to share this colorful chopped vegetable salad with you. It’s been my go-to lunch all summer long, and there’s no better way to enjoy the late-summer vegetables hitting farmers markets and grocery stores right now.
This salad hits all the classic chopped salad notes: crisp romaine lettuce, juicy tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, punchy bell peppers. However, a few unexpected ingredients take this salad up a notch. I’m talking sweet kernels of fresh corn cut straight from the cob, raw or lightly blanched green beans just-picked from the garden, and a sprinkling of buttery hemp hearts, all tossed with creamy lemon-tahini dressing.
It’s the ultimate combination of sweet and savory, tender and crunchy, and crisp and creamy. You’re going to love it!
Packed with look-good, feel-good nutrition
Beyond being crazy delicious, this salad is packed with nutrients your body is going to love, from plant-powered protein to a hearty helping of mood-boosting omega-3s. I mean, how many other lunches deliver:
- 17 g protein (same as a 3-egg omelet!)
- 259% vitamin A for laser vision
- 278% vitamin C for gorgeous skin
- 35% iron, especially important for premenopausal women
- 21% zinc for a healthy immune system (more if you use optional hemp hearts)
So what are you waiting for?
Hit the farmer’s market before all this gorgeous summer produce goes the way of the dodo, and whip up this delicious salad for you and yours. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 2 romaine hearts, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (or 2 c cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 2 ears fresh corn, raw kernels cut from the cob (2 - 2½ c)
- 2 orange or red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cucumbers, chopped
- 2 c chickpeas or white beans, cooked and drained (no salt added)
- ½ lb green beans (raw or blanched), trimmed and chopped into 1" pieces (2 c)
- ¼ c diced red onion
- ¼ c hemp hearts (optional)
- ½ c tahini dressing
- Toss all ingredients with tahini dressing. Add more dressing, to taste, if desired.
-If you've never had raw corn in a salad, you're in for a treat--it's sweet, creamy, and crunchy!
-Note that chickpeas/beans are not shown in the pictures because I've had to cut back on beans temporarily (long story).
-Nutrition facts do not include optional hemp hearts.