We do a lot of taco nights at my house, but serving a green salad with tacos can become a little ho-hum. So this week, on my jicama kick, I decided to shake things up a bit! Enter the tasty (and healthy) Mexican Jicama and Orange Salad.
This combination of crunchy jicama, sweet oranges, red bell peppers, and savory scallions makes a delightfully refreshing accompaniment to spicy Mexican fare. Of course, the adventurous among you are free to kick this salad up with a sprinkle of smoky-hot ancho or chipotle chile powder.
In fact, I almost hate to mention that this spunky oil-free salad is a nutritional powerhouse. When it comes to your daily value, this salad offers up:
- 289% of your vitamin C
- 36% of your vitamin A
- 25% of your vitamin K
- 15% of your vitamin B6
What’s more, it comes together quickly, assuming you know the fast and easy way to peel a jicama. (Works for oranges, too!)
I even took this salad to an omnivorous friend who was going through a tough time (along with a vegan enchilada casserole), and she loved it. That said, I did add a tablespoon of olive oil to the dressing for her, since she wasn’t used to oil-free fare. (Know your audience, right?) 😉
Luckily, this salad works nicely on Kris Carr’s Adventure Cleanse, too. My mom and I are now on day 11 and going strong. I’m over my cold, I’m up to meditating 10 minutes a day, I’m working out, and I’ve only slipped on caffeine once! It was just green tea, but now that I’m off the sauce, I have to say, I got a serious jolt out of it. Oh, and I’m pretty much consuming my weight in vegetables. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’ve blown two pounds of vegetables a day out of the water. Side benefit: I’ve never gotten over a cold faster!
Mexican Jicama and Orange Salad Recipe (Low Fat, Vegan)
Adapted from the Food Network Magazine’s Jicama-Orange Salad. This salad can be made a day ahead of time, so long as the cilantro is added just before serving!
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 navel oranges, peeled and chopped (or segmented, if you’re feeling ambitious)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (packed)
- Juice of 1 lime (about 1 Tbsp)
- 4 drops liquid stevia (or a dash of agave nectar)
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Sprinkle of ancho or chipotle chile powder (optional)
- Place jicama, bell pepper, orange chunks, sliced green onions, and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, liuid stevia (or agave), and a couple of good grinds of black pepper, if using. Sprinkle dressing over salad and toss gently to coat.
- Serve as is, or top with a dash of ancho or chipotle chile powder.
Shared on Raw Foods Thursdays and Healthy Vegan Fridays.
Want to actually enjoy your vegetables? Subscribe to Veggie Quest and never miss a recipe! (WFPB, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Eat-to-Live friendly.)