Need a go-to snack for parties and potlucks? You’re in the right place!
This quick and easy homemade guacamole is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser, and it couldn’t be simpler to make: smash up some avocados, add some mix-ins, and you’re guest ready. What’s more, you and your friends get all the nutritional goodies avocados have to offer: potassium, magnesium, folate, and vitamin B6. Not bad for an appetizer, right?
What’s more, if you’ve never tried guacamole with crisp jicama chips, well, you’re in for a treat. The sweet-tart crunch of jicama seasoned with lime and chile powder paired with silky guacamole is pure bliss.
Wait, what the heck is jicama? Great question! Personally, I think it’s the unsung hero of vegetables— sweet, crispy, and delicious—yet almost know one knows about it. (Including me, until not so long ago. Now it’s one of my favorites. 🙂 ) It doesn’t turn brown when you cut it, so it’s great for party platters and lunch boxes. It’s sweet crunch makes it a great dipper, you can cut it into fun shapes with cookie cutters, and you can even toss it in fruit salads. Oh, and did I mention it’s packed with probiotics to feed the microbes that help keep your insides healthy?
If you’re ready to try it, check out these fun facts and tips for buying, storing, and preparing jicama. Once you’ve got your jicama home, use this quick-and-easy method for peeling jicama in no time.
Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
- 1 large jicama
- juice of ½ lime
- ¼ tsp dried ground chiles (not the spice blend you'd put in beans-and-tomato chili, although that would probably taste fine)
- 2 avocados
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- ⅓ c loosely packed fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ c diced sweet or red onion
- juice of ½ lime
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- Wash and peel jicama. (Get quick-and-easy steps for peeling here.) Slice jicama into rounds, then cut each round into 6 "pie pieces," so they're shaped like corn chips.
- Arrange "chips" on the serving plate, drizzle with lime juice, and sprinkle with ground chiles.
- Serve with guacamole.
- Scoop the flesh from each avocado and smash with a fork. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and serve.